NJ Laws Directions to Ken Vercammen and Associates Ken Vercammens Resume Ken Vercammen articles

Kenneth Vercammen & Associates
A Law Office with Experienced Attorneys for Your New Jersey Legal Needs

2053 Woodbridge Ave.
Edison NJ 08817

Personal Injury and Criminal
on Weekends 732-261-4005

Princeton Area
68 South Main St.
Cranbury, NJ 08512
By Appointment Only
Toll Free 800-655-2977

Motor Vehicle Surcharges

Surcharges are fines assessed by New Jersey Surcharge Violation System (NJSVS). Drivers who have excessive points for traffic violations or have been convicted in court for specific offenses such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) are liable for Surcharge. Surcharges are in addition to any court fines and/or penalties and are billed yearly for three years. If you have received a surcharge notice in the mail and do not see an answer to your question on this page or in the FAQ, please call the New Jersey Surcharge Violation System at (888-651-9999).

Why do you get a Surcharge?

Your New Jersey driving record is reviewed every time points or other serious violations are added to your driving record. If you accumulate six or more points within three years from your last posted violation, you will receive a $150 Surcharge plus $25 for each additional point. A points based Surcharge can result in a Surcharge for three years.

Additional violations that will result in a Surcharge due for three years:

$100 for unlicensed driver or driver with expired license ($300 total)

$250 for driving with a suspended license ($750 total)

$100 for failure to insure a moped ($300 total)

$250 for operating an uninsured vehicle ($750 total)

$1,000 for first and second driving while intoxicated (DWI) ($3,000 total)

$1,500 third DWI (if it occurs within three years last offense) ($4,500 total)

$1,000 for refusing to take test to measure blood alcohol concentration ($3,000 total)

Not paying surcharges?

Drivers failing to pay surcharges are sent a notice indicating when their license will be suspended and another notice confirming suspension for non-payment. Moving out of state or failing to maintain a current address with the MVC does not excuse surcharge debts. After suspension, surcharges and a $100 restoration fee must be paid to restore the license privilege. If the surcharge remains unpaid a Certificate of Debt is filed in Superior Court. The court issues a judgment, which allows the state to collect unpaid surcharges through involuntary means. The judgment amount (surcharge debt) must be paid before personal property can be transferred or sold. Judgments include a collection cost and interest charges calculated on the judgment balance. Unpaid judgments are assigned to collection agencies and law firms. Credit bureaus are made aware of unpaid accounts.

Are you eligible for a Hardship Payment Plan?

Drivers owing surcharges can request a lower cost payment plan if they are currently receiving government benefits. This includes participants in Work Force New Jersey (TANF), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP), those receiving unemployment benefits and other eligible programs. Contact the billing office at 888-651-9999 or the collection firm noted on your billing statement for more information. You will need to submit proof of participation or receipt of benefits. Hardship payment plans expire when there is no longer a hardship. Hardship Payment Plans will assist drivers in avoiding suspension and aid in restoring driving privileges.

More information on Surcharges?

Please visit Surcharge Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

How to pay your Surcharges?

There are several ways of paying your Surcharge:

Pay with debit/credit card or e-check via the internet: Go to www.njsurcharge.com

Pay with debit/credit card via telephone: Call toll free at 888-651-9999

Pay with cash: Visit a Western Union location in New Jersey and nation wide

Send a check or money order payable to:


P.O. Box 4850

Trenton, NJ 08650-4850

Surcharge Payment plans are available as detailed on your bill. You can call 888-651-9999 for more information. You may also use this number to automatically access individual account and payment information, obtain Surcharge program information, and make credit card payments 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


Kenneth Vercammen was the Middlesex County Bar Municipal Court Attorney of the Year

Cell Phone:
E-Mail Address

If You Do Not Include a Complete E-Mail Address, Network will not Forward Your Contact Form to the Law Office.

Details of the Case
By typing " agree" into the box you are confirming that you wish to send your information to the Law Office of Kenneth Vercammen

Kenneth Vercammen was the Middlesex County Bar Municipal Court Attorney of the Year

Meet with an experienced Attorney to handle your important legal needs.
Please call the office to schedule a confidential "in Office" consultation.
Attorneys are not permitted to provide legal advice by email.

Kenneth Vercammens Law office represents individuals charged with criminal, drug offenses, and serious traffic violations throughout New Jersey. Our office helps people with traffic/ municipal court tickets including drivers charged with Driving While Intoxicated, Refusal and Driving While Suspended.

Kenneth Vercammen was the NJ State Bar Municipal Court Attorney of the Year and past president of the Middlesex County Municipal Prosecutors Association.

Criminal and Motor vehicle violations can cost you. You will have to pay fines in court or receive points on your drivers license. An accumulation of too many points, or certain moving violations may require you to pay expensive surcharges to the N.J. DMV [Division of Motor Vehicles] or have your license suspended. Dont give up! The Law Office of Kenneth Vercammen can provide experienced attorney representation for criminal motor vehicle violations.

When your job or drivers license is in jeopardy or you are facing thousands of dollars in fines, DMV surcharges and car insurance increases, you need excellent legal representation. The least expensive attorney is not always the answer. Schedule an appointment if you need experienced legal representation in a traffic/municipal court matter.

Our website provides information on traffic offenses we can be retained to represent people. Our website also provides details on jail terms for traffic violations and car insurance eligibility points. Car insurance companies increase rates or drop customers based on moving violations.

Contact the Law Office of
Kenneth Vercammen & Associates, P.C.
at 732-572-0500
for an appointment.

The Law Office cannot provide legal advice or answer legal questions over the phone or by email. Please call the Law office and schedule a confidential "in office" consultation. The Law Office now accepts payment by American Express, Visa and Master Card.

Ken Vercammen articles.

Ken Vercammens Resume
Directions to Ken Vercammen and Associates

Disclaimer This web site is purely a public resource of general New Jersey information (intended, but not promised or guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date). It is not intended be a source of legal advice, do not rely on information at this site or others in place of the advice of competent counsel. The Law Office of Kenneth Vercammen complies with the New Jersey Rules of Professional Conduct. This web site is not sponsored or associated with any particular linked entity unless specifically stated. The existence of any particular link is simply intended to imply potential interest to the reader, inclusion of a link should not be construed as an endorsement.

Copyright 2018. Kenneth Vercammen & Associates, P.C.