NJAC 11:3-34.3 At-fault Accident Definitions
The following words and terms, as used in this subchapter, shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
At-fault accident is any accident involving a driver insured under the policy:
1. Where a driver is proportionately responsible based on the number of vehicles involved. A driver is proportionately responsible if 50 percent responsible for an accident involving two drivers; if 33 1/3 percent responsible for an accident involving three drivers, etc.; and
2. Which results in a total payment by the insurer of at least $ 500.00 for an accident occurring before June 9, 2003; or at least $ 1,000 for an accident occurring on or after June 9, 2003. The $ 1,000 dollar amount may be adjusted in $ 100.00 or $ 250.00 increments by Order of the Commissioner not more frequently than every 36 months. The Order shall reflect the cumulative increases or decreases in the components of the Consumer Price Index, All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) for the Northeast Region, and the adjusted amount shall apply to automobile accidents occurring at least 120 days after the effective date of the adjustment. The adjustment shall be reflected in this definition through a notice of administrative change published in the New Jersey Register.
An at-fault accident shall not include the following:
1. Involvement in an accident in which the motor vehicle owned or operated by the insured or other driver insured under the policy was lawfully parked;
2. Involvement in an accident in which the motor vehicle was struck by a hit and run driver, if such accident was reported to the proper authorities within 24 hours;
3. Involvement in an accident in connection with which neither the named insured nor any other driver insured under the policy was convicted of a moving traffic violation and the owner or operator of another vehicle involved in such accident was so convicted;
4. For physical damage losses other than collision;
5. For an accident in which the motor vehicle was struck in the rear by another vehicle and a driver insured under the policy has not been convicted of a moving violation in connection with the accident; or
6. For an accident occurring as a result of operation of any motor vehicle in response to an emergency if the operator at the time of the accident was responding to the call to duty as a paid or volunteer member of any police or fire department, first aid squad or any law enforcement agency.
Automobile means an automobile as defined in N.J.S.A. 39:6A-2.
Automobile insurance means insurance for an automobile including any or all of the following coverages: bodily injury liability, and property damage liability, comprehensive and collision coverages, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, personal injury protection coverage, additional personal injury protection coverage and any other automobile insurance required by law.
Automobile insurance eligibility points means points calculated under the schedule promulgated by the Commissioner pursuant to this subchapter.
Commissioner means the Commissioner of Banking and Insurance of the State of New Jersey.
Department means the Department of Banking and Insurance of the State of New Jersey.
State means the State of New Jersey.
Vercammens Law office represents individuals charged with criminal, drug
offenses, and serious traffic violations throughout New Jersey. Our office
helps people with traffic/ municipal court tickets including drivers charged
with Driving While Intoxicated, Refusal and Driving While Suspended.
Vercammen was the NJ State Bar Municipal Court Attorney of the Year and
past president of the Middlesex County Municipal Prosecutors Association.
and Motor vehicle violations can cost you. You will have to pay fines
in court or receive points on your drivers license. An accumulation of
too many points, or certain moving violations may require you to pay expensive
surcharges to the N.J. DMV [Division of Motor Vehicles] or have your license
suspended. Dont give up! The Law Office of Kenneth Vercammen can provide
experienced attorney representation for criminal motor vehicle violations.
your job or drivers license is in jeopardy or you are facing thousands
of dollars in fines, DMV surcharges and car insurance increases, you need
excellent legal representation. The least expensive attorney is not always
the answer. Schedule an appointment if you need experienced legal representation
in a traffic/municipal court matter.
website provides information on traffic offenses we can be retained to
represent people. Our website also provides details on jail terms for
traffic violations and car insurance eligibility points. Car insurance
companies increase rates or drop customers based on moving violations.
Contact the Law Office
Kenneth Vercammen & Associates, P.C.
for an appointment.
Law Office cannot provide legal advice or answer legal questions over
the phone or by email. Please call the Law office and schedule a
confidential "in office" consultation. The Law Office
now accepts payment by American Express, Visa and Master Card.
This web site is purely a
public resource of general New Jersey information (intended, but not
promised or guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date). It is
not intended be a source of legal advice, do not rely on information
at this site or others in place of the advice of competent counsel.
The Law Office of Kenneth Vercammen complies with the New Jersey Rules
of Professional Conduct. This web site is not sponsored or associated
with any particular linked entity unless specifically stated.
The existence of any particular link is simply intended to imply potential
interest to the reader, inclusion of a link should not be construed
as an endorsement.
Copyright 2018. Kenneth Vercammen & Associates, P.C.