NJSA 2A:44A-20 Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien, Form
2A:44A-20. Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien, form
20. All valid liens filed pursuant to this act shall attach to the interest of the owner from the time of filing of the lien claim in the office of the county clerk, subject to the provisions of section 10 of this act.
a. In the event of the creation, conveyance, lease or mortgage of an estate or interest in real property to which improvements have been made that are subject to the lien provisions of this act, a lien claim validly filed under this act shall have priority over any prior creation, conveyance, lease or mortgage of an estate or interest in real property, only if the claimant has filed with the county clerk prior to that creation, conveyance, lease or mortgage, a Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien in substantially the following form:
TO THE CLERK, COUNTY OF :
In accordance with the terms and provisions of the "Construction Lien Law," P.L.1993, c.318 (C.2A:44A-1 et al.), notice is hereby given that:
1. (Name of claimant) of (address of claimant) has on (date) a potential construction lien against the below described property of (owner against whose property the lien will be claimed), in the amount of ($ ), for the value of the work, services, material or equipment provided in accordance with a contract with (name of contracting party with whom claimant has a contract) for the following work, services, materials or equipment:
2. The amount due for work, services, materials or equipment provided by claimant in connection with the improvement of the real property, and upon which this lien claim is based is as follows:
Total contract amount: $
Amendments to contract: $
Total contract amount
and amendments to contract: $
Less: Agreed upon
Contract amount paid
to date: $
Amendments to contract
amount paid to date: $
TOTAL REDUCTIONS FROM CONTRACT
AMOUNT AND AMENDMENTS TO
TOTAL LIEN CLAIM AMOUNT: $
3. This construction lien is to be claimed against the interest of (name) as (check one):
Other (describe): in that certain tract or parcel of land and premises described as Block , Lot , on the tax map of the of , County of , State of New Jersey, for the improvement of which property the aforementioned work, services, materials or equipment was provided.
4. The work, services, materials or equipment was provided pursuant to the terms of a written contract (or, in the case of a supplier, a delivery or order slip signed by the owner, contractor, or subcontractor having a direct contractual relation with a contractor, or an authorized agent of any of them), dated , between (claimant) and (name of other contracting party) of (address).
5. The date of the provision of the last work, services, material or equipment for which payment is claimed is (date).
6. The written contract (is) (is not) (cross out inapplicable portion) a residential construction contract as defined in section 2 of this act.
7. This notification has been filed prior or subsequent to completion of the work, services, materials or equipment as described above. The purpose of this notification is to advise the owner and any other person who is attempting to encumber or take transfer of said property described above that a potential construction lien may be filed within the 90 day period following the date of the provision of the last work, services, materials or equipment as set forth in paragraph 5.
CLAIMANTS REPRESENTATION AND VERIFICATION
Claimant represents and verifies that:
1. The amount claimed herein is due and owing at the date of filing, pursuant to claimants contract described in the Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien.
2. The work, services, material or equipment for which this Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien is filed was provided exclusively in connection with the improvement of the real property which is the subject of this Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien.
3. The Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien has been filed within 90 days from the last date upon which the work, services, materials or equipment for which payment is claimed was provided.
4. The foregoing statements made by me are true, to the best of my knowledge. Name of Claimant Signed
Type or Print Name and Title
b. In the event that the claimant elects to file a Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien as described above, it shall not be necessary to serve a copy of said Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien upon any interested party.
c. After the filing of a Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien, any person claiming title to or an estate or interest in or a lien upon the real property described in the Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien, shall be deemed to have acquired said title, estate, interest or lien with knowledge of the anticipated filing of a lien claim, and shall be subject to the terms, conditions and provisions of that lien claim within the period provided by section 6 of this act and as set forth in the Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien. A Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien filed under the provisions of this act shall be subject to the effect of a notice of settlement filed pursuant to P.L.1979, c.406 (C.46:16A-1 et seq.).
d. The Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien shall be effective for 90 days from the date of the provision of the last work, services, materials or equipment delivery for which payment is claimed as set forth in paragraph 5 of the Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien.
e. The filing of a Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien shall not constitute the filing of a lien claim in accordance with the provisions of this act, nor does it extend the time for the filing of a lien claim in accordance with the provisions of this act.
f. Failure to file a Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien shall not affect the claimants lien rights arising under the provisions of this act, to the extent that no creation, conveyance, lease or mortgage of an interest in real property has taken place prior to the filing of a Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien or lien claim.
g. A Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien may be amended by the filing of an Amended Notice of Unpaid Balance and Right to File Lien in accordance with the provisions of this section.
Vercammen was the Middlesex County Bar Municipal Court Attorney of the
Vercammen is the Managing Attorney at Kenneth Vercammen & Associates
in Edison, NJ. He is a New Jersey trial attorney has devoted a substantial
portion of his professional time to the preparation and trial of litigated
matters. He has appeared in Courts throughout New Jersey each week for
litigation and contested Probate hearings.
Vercammen has published over 125 legal articles in national and New Jersey
publications on elder law, probate and litigation topics. He is a highly
regarded lecturer on litigation issues for the American Bar Association,
NJ ICLE, New Jersey State Bar Association and Middlesex County Bar Association.
His articles have been published in noted publications included New Jersey
Law Journal, ABA Law Practice Management Magazine, and New Jersey Lawyer.
is chair of the Elder Law Committee of the American Bar Association General
Practice Division. He is also Editor of the ABA Estate Planning Probate
Committee Newsletter and also the Criminal Law Committee newsletter. Mr.
Vercammen is a recipient of the NJSBA- YLD Service to the Bar Award. And
past Winner "General Practice Attorney of the Year" from the
NJ State Bar Association. He is a 22 year active member of the American
Bar Association. He is also a member of the ABA Real Property, Probate
& Trust Section.
established the NJlaws website which includes many articles on Elder Law.
Mr. Vercammen received his B.S., cum laude, from the University of Scranton
and his J.D. from Widener/Delaware Law School, where he was the Case Note
Editor of the Delaware Law Forum, a member of the Law Review and the winner
of the Delaware Trial Competition.
RECENT SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS ON WILLS, ELDER LAW, AND PROBATE
Edison Adult School -Wills, Elder Law & Probate- 2007, 2006, 2005,
2004, 2003, 2002 [inc Edison TV], 2001, 2000,1999,1998,1997
Nuts & Bolts of Elder Law - NJ Institute for Continuing Legal Education/
NJ State Bar ICLE/NJSBA 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2000,
Elder Law and Estate Planning- American Bar Association Miami 2007
Elder Law Practice, New Ethical Ideas to Improve Your Practice by Giving
Clients What They Want and Need American Bar Association Hawaii 2006
South Plainfield Seniors- New Probate Law 2005, East Brunswick Seniors-
New Probate Law 2005
Old Bridge AARP 2002; Guardian Angeles/ Edison 2002; St. Cecilia/ Woodbridge
East Brunswick/ Halls Corner 2002;
Linden AARP 2002
Woodbridge Adult School -Wills and Estate Administration -2001, 2000,
1999, 1998, 1997, 1996
Woodbridge Housing 2001; Metuchen Seniors & Metuchen TV 2001; Frigidare/
Local 401 Edison 2001; Chelsea/ East Brunswick 2001, Village Court/ Edison
2001; Old Bridge Rotary 2001; Sacred Heart/ South Amboy 2001; Livingston
Manor/ New Brunswick 2001; Sunrise East Brunswick 2001; Strawberry Hill/
Wills and Elder Law - Metuchen Adult School 1999,1997,1996,1995,1994,1993
Clara Barton Senior Citizens- Wills & Elder Law-Edison 2002, 1995
AARP Participating Attorney in Legal Plan for NJ AARP members 1999-2005
Contact the Law Office
Kenneth Vercammen & Associates, P.C.
for an appointment.
Law Office cannot provide legal advice or answer legal questions over
the phone or by email. Please call the Law office and schedule a
confidential "in office" consultation. The Law Office
now accepts payment by American Express, Visa and Master Card.
This web site is purely a public resource
of general New Jersey information (intended, but not promised or guaranteed
to be correct, complete, or up-to-date). It is not intended be a source
of legal advice, do not rely on information at this site or others in
place of the advice of competent counsel. The Law Office of Kenneth
Vercammen complies with the New Jersey Rules of Professional Conduct.
This web site is not sponsored or associated with any particular linked
entity unless specifically stated. The existence of any particular
link is simply intended to imply potential interest to the reader, inclusion
of a link should not be construed as an endorsement.
Copyright 2018. Kenneth Vercammen & Associates, P.C.